10.17.2013

---October. Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

I. Am. A. Survivor.

I shared the "cliff notes" version of my story briefly yesterday at work with a guy friend. He. Was. Shocked. And at first, was in disbelief that it happened to me. Yes. It. Did. 19 years ago. I left. Somehow. And somehow, I am here today to share my story. I am not the same person as I was then.

I. Am. A. Survivor. Not a Victim. It happened to me. I lived it, a nightmare, day in and day out. Stalked, beat, raped. Name it. Yes. It. Happened. To Me.

It's October again. Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Often overlooked. We should do more. I should do more. Women, Children, Families are suffering because of this. We must educate our young ladies, our young men. We must be vigilant, proactive. We must make Domestic Violence Awareness known. It is a serious matter. It's not a game, it's not a joke. Lives are at risk. It affects ALL of us, whether directly or indirectly.

Please support your local women's shelters. Donate. Volunteer. Educate.

Purple is the color. Wear it. If you are a survivor, wear it proudly! Share your story. You never know who it might help.



1 comment:

  1. Yes, let us be proactive! Let us all do our share to rid this world of this senseless cycle of violence. Let all 12 months of the year be Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

    I am really happy that you have survived your ordeal. I am more happy to hear you say that you are not a victim. You are blessed.

    If I may, I'd like to share "I Trusted Him: The Story of Anna Lynn Hurd". A 16 year old victim. Let's listen to Anna Lynn and spread the word on the lessons we will learn so that this will not happen to us and the people we love.

    You can download the eBook for free at Foboko.com: http://ow.ly/pnBaG.

    ReplyDelete