6.04.2013

iPhone (cell phone) Pics vs DSLR Pics


So often I hear "Why take photos with your iPhone when you have that NICE DSLR?" (Well, I actually have two + two nice SLRs as well.) 

Truth be told....one cannot always carry around a big DSLR....as much as I would love to cuz I absolutely LOVE my D7000. (And my D80- not to be left out!) but I can get photos in places I otherwise wouldn't be able to when carrying around that big, heavy - you can't hide it - camera. 

Some think iPhone (cell phone) photos diminish my talent as a photographer. I argue otherwise. Photography is NOT the equipment one uses. I have seen some phenomenal (yes, I said phenomenal) work done with an iPhone. iPhone photography is a huge trend (and trend it is.) And it's convenient. Whip it out  - hell, it's usually in my hand anyhow - push the screen and I'm off. No exposure adjusting, no zooming in, zooming out, focus nothing. In a second, I've captured what I've wanted....without anyone being wise to it. I mean, come on, how easy is it to truly to that with a big DSLR? Not so easy. Once again, you can't hide it. It takes a few seconds to adjust your settings. Yeah, you've got  more megapixels, a clearer image.....the ability to print larger prints......when taken with a DSLR. But once again....I've been able to capture so much with my iPhone that I otherwise would've missed. 

Photographers- Chime in. What are your thoughts? I will never say the iPhone (or any cell phone camera) will replace the DSLR - that's just not happening. But as technology becomes better, so do the photos you can get from your iPhone. Hey! It's a fun tool. I love the apps and the effects I get....and I get tons of compliments on my crappy iPhone photos as well. 

Photography is not the equipment I use, but rather the way I see the world......whether with my crappy iPhone photos or with my DSLRs. 

Just. Keep Shooting. No matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment