1.07.2014

Passion + Pain or Passion without Pain?

Today's "food for thought" question is this: I heard this said today and I quote (though not necessarily word for word here) "You can't have passion without pain."

I nearly was quick to disagree but then, I got to thinking. Is this really an untrue statement? Truly, it depends on what situation we apply this statement to.

If we apply this to something we are passionate about doing such as music or art or photography, I can see where the possibility of "pain" could potentially be beneficial. Pain can sometimes be that drive to push harder in your writings,  your art, your music. It can be that initiative to write that new song. Take that new photo. It can also keep you from achieving those dreams, those goals.

Artists are very passionate people. Passion is their driving force behind their creativity. But could pain also be their partner? Some of the most beautiful songs have been written out of pain. Listen to the lyrics. And some of the most beautiful paintings, also the same.

Then there's those things that are simply created out of joy. Passion + Pain? Or Passion without Pain? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment