It got me to thinking. What limitations am I placing on myself? We all limit ourselves to some degree, whether we think we do or not.
Fear. Lack of Funds. Lack of guidance. Fear. Comfort.
When we are too comfortable, we limit ourselves.
When we are fearful, we limit ourselves.
When we lack the guidance on how to achieve our dreams, we limit ourselves.
So how do we overcome these limitations? How do we live a limitless life?
Fear is natural. There is nothing wrong with a little fear. It's when we allow it to hold us back...when we allow it to stifle our dreams and creativity it becomes a problem. I admit, I've allowed fear to hold me back. Fear of the unknown, fear of failing. Admittedly to some (large) degree, I like things mapped out for me. I like to have a plan. Yes. The plan can change, but there has to be some sort of plan. And I have had a fear of failing...what if it doesn't work out? What will I do then? But not trying is the biggest failure of all.
I hate asking for help. And that has limited me in so many ways. While I am (slightly) better at it now, it still hinders me greatly. Asking for help and guidance can un-limit you; it can remove some of that fear...that lack of knowledge in how to get to that dream. It can help remove some of the doubt, some of the insecurities.
I truly sleep, eat, and breathe photography. I've had a camera in my hand since I was in elementary school. I have taken thousands - probably millions at this point- of photographs. I've been pursuing it for over 14 years, now, but it wasn't until 3 or 4 years ago when I seriously began putting my ALL into it. It was then that I stopped comparing my work to others, I stopped being insecure about my work and I began to network, meet other phenomenal photographers and (very slowly) began asking questions, asking for input....and just shooting. Being insecure about my work held me back...being insecure about myself held me back even more. Fear held me back.
I write. But many don't know this. Oh, they know I write for digital magazines, it's all over my social media pages. But they don't know I write anything else. Not many do. Why? Because I am insecure about what I write. I don't think it's good enough. There again I limit myself. I am afraid.....crazy, huh? I criticize myself harshly. Perfection is not a positive trait.
I limit myself. No one else. Just me. But with a new year approaching, I am ready to be Limitless. To push my boundaries more. To really really pursue what I love. All the time. I am ready to take that leap into the unknown...and I know it will all work out (somehow, gasp!) Because it has so far.
I hate asking for help. And that has limited me in so many ways. While I am (slightly) better at it now, it still hinders me greatly. Asking for help and guidance can un-limit you; it can remove some of that fear...that lack of knowledge in how to get to that dream. It can help remove some of the doubt, some of the insecurities.
I truly sleep, eat, and breathe photography. I've had a camera in my hand since I was in elementary school. I have taken thousands - probably millions at this point- of photographs. I've been pursuing it for over 14 years, now, but it wasn't until 3 or 4 years ago when I seriously began putting my ALL into it. It was then that I stopped comparing my work to others, I stopped being insecure about my work and I began to network, meet other phenomenal photographers and (very slowly) began asking questions, asking for input....and just shooting. Being insecure about my work held me back...being insecure about myself held me back even more. Fear held me back.
I write. But many don't know this. Oh, they know I write for digital magazines, it's all over my social media pages. But they don't know I write anything else. Not many do. Why? Because I am insecure about what I write. I don't think it's good enough. There again I limit myself. I am afraid.....crazy, huh? I criticize myself harshly. Perfection is not a positive trait.
I limit myself. No one else. Just me. But with a new year approaching, I am ready to be Limitless. To push my boundaries more. To really really pursue what I love. All the time. I am ready to take that leap into the unknown...and I know it will all work out (somehow, gasp!) Because it has so far.
No comments:
Post a Comment