1.01.2012

Lesson One: Driving a Stick Shift

What a way to begin the new year! Learning something new....I've begun a list of things I would like to do not only in 2012 but in the years to come. One that's been on the list for quite some time (years, in fact!) is to learn how to drive a manual transmission-a.k.a stick shift.

Today, while out shopping for a new kitchen faucet (in which I/we did not buy) I got an impromptu lesson in "Lola" - our '73 Volkswagen Bus. I will admit that I'd had a few brief lessons before, but it was many many years ago-and they weren't consistent, so when it came time for me to slide on over to the drivers seat today, I felt completely lost.

Okay, deep breath, and another deep breath...adjust the seat...and adjust it again........in driving a '98 Lexus with the fancy automatic, electric adjustments, there are many options to get your seat "just right." In the oldies, with the little handle that you pull and then slide your seat forward as you pull the lever, you have only a few options. So now, I am literally sitting on top of the steering wheel and my side mirror, well, at this point, it's basically useless as I am sitting farther forward than it is!

Honestly I think the first thing anyone should do is just seat in the drivers seat, with their hand on the shift knob - engine off! - and just feel the gears, get used to the shifter. Close your eyes for a moment and just feel it; first, neutral, second, neutral, third, neutral, fourth.....and well, in the VW, that's all you get-besides reverse, which is where we almost headed first! Driving a manual transmission vehicle is like a dance or a symphony.........left foot on the clutch, press down...shift to first, right foot on the gas, slowly; left foot let's off the clutch, slowly...........and so on. When the gas pedal is down, the clutch should be up. Ah, the brakes! Depress clutch pedal and the brake at the same time! Each time you shift, your foot must be off the gas and on the clutch. How many times today did I keep my foot on the gas and shift...hey, when you drive an automatic, letting off the gas means the car comes to a stop. (Yes, even on a manual transmission, the car will come to a stop if you don't shift fast enough.)

I did have a chance to come to a stop - several times - on a hill today as well. Always an exciting challenge, I was a nervous wreck! Thank God we were in an empty parking lot - at least for a little while! Definitely, I rolled back, but seemingly, not so far! Oh the difference it makes when in traffic! I drove home from the empty school lot - about a 4-5 mile drive! I wish I'd had flashing lights on the back window with a sign in lights saying "New Manual Driver on Board, Keep your Distance!"

Admittedly, I think I was less of a nervous wreck while out in traffic (ok - very few cars were out at the time!) I mean, when someone's behind you, you just have to do it! There's not much thinking at that point, it all comes natural. Did I miss a gear in that drive home every now and then, you betcha! Did I roll back, well, not so much! But if you see a short brunette in a white '73 VW Bus, I would keep my distance, it just might be me, out on my second lesson!

And I really really want to thank Volkswagen for creating the Bus with the almost non-stallable transmission! I stalled it only once, and that was because, well, I didn't give it enough gas! Thanks, Volkswagen! You give this girl much more confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment