We are fast approaching the month of October...it's commonly known as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an important cause, but less known as Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
The latter topic has recently been weighing upon my heart. As a survivor (19 years ago and going strong!!!), I feel it's incredibly important to educate others on this less discussed but equally important topic. Still seemingly taboo to talk about.
A few facts tonight:
Imagine this: EVERY nine seconds a woman is beaten or assaulted in the US. This could be your sister, your daughter, a friend. What will you do about it?
Up to ten million children witness an act of domestic violence annually. *It's a fact.* What will you do about it?
Every, single day more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends. And this is love?
Our teenage girls are affected as well. One in five have said their boyfriends have threatened violence or self harm if a break up occured. Imagine that being your daughter.
Lastly, it affect far more than the immediate parties involved. Domestic violence victims lose nearly eight million days of paid work per year. That's 32,000 full time jobs, people, 32,000!!
And let's not talk about the cost of healthcare and the monies spent in the judicial system. Staggering.
Serious subject. What will YOU do?
Support your local shelters, donate, volunteer. Educate yourself, not one month out of the year, but often.
Wow. Never knew some of those facts. It is very true what is happening today with this subject and I am going take more action. I am going to help anyway I can and often. Thanks for that. I would also I to talk to you about what in the past. Stay strong!!!
ReplyDelete...Many don't, Chris. Hence the importance of sharing. Young ladies need to be aware of this, educated. We need to promote strong self-esteem in them so they don't fall prey to domestic violence. Ladies - young and old: Love yourselves FIRST. I see so many than don't....and it's heartbreaking. I've been there.
DeleteI didn't know that October was also Domestic Violence Awareness Month! Glad you brought this little known fact to my attention. Thanks, Joy!
ReplyDeleteWhy yes, yes it is. See how unknown that fact is. Purple ribbons for domestic violence + pink for breast cancer awareness. I will wear both. Thanks for reading, Andi-Roo! :) Share away.
DeleteAny kind of abuse must never be tolerated especially towards women, children! Hope all is well with you Joy!
ReplyDeleteI tried replying twice from my phone this afternoon....Sergey. I am well. This is an experience from my senior year in high school.....I figure by my sharing if it helps just one person, it's worth it. Violence & abuse is not tolerable in any way, towards anyone, what-so-ever. Thank you for taking the time to read, comment...and above all thank you for your constant support.
Delete